Saturday, May 5, 2012

138th Kentucky Derby Derby Day May 5, 2012




Friday, May 4, 2012, was a day of rest. Ha Ha Laundry to do, shopping to do but had a nice prime rib dinner at Elks Club in Jeffersonville, Indiana. We have had hot weather up to 95 degrees and humid.
The first Saturday in May, is set aside for the "Running of the Roses" also know as the Kentucky Derby. The shuttle bus (air conditions mini bus) started to run at 8:00 and will run all day. I managed to get up, dress, put my hat on and catch the 9:00 shuttle.
 We had to wear all this stuff around our necks  all day. One was the ticket for the Derby another was for the shuttle (old school bus)from where our shuttle dropped us off in Papa John stadium to catch a bus to Churchill Downs and another ticket to get into the Sunny Side Lounge.





The price of the ticket says $146 only because they are printed before the Derby but actual cost is over $700 per person for bleacher type seats without backs and in the sun. There are thirteen races today with the Derby being the eleventh.


Viewing Stands Across the Track

The Infield Filling Up

In the Stands

Between Races

Ninety-Five degrees and 65,000 guests pack Churchill Downs for the Kentucky Derby. All the folks enjoyed the drinks at $22.00 for a Mint Julep and $12.00 for a beer. By the end of the day I counted sixteen commemorative glasses under their seats of the four young people in front of me. The ladies were spectacular in their hats and matching outfits.



First Race of the Day

Watched the first, second and third races, bet on the first and won and bet on the second and third and lost. That's about the size of how my betting went. Getting hot in the sun and wondered down to the Sunny Side Lounge for some shade and found the jockey of Seattle Slew signing autographs of Seattle Slew in winning the 1977 Kentucky Derby. His name is Jean Cruguet and he rode the "Slew" to the Triple Crown that year. Seattle Slew was the only undefeated horse to win the Crown. Notice how big my hat was.


Stayed in the Sunny Side Lounge for the next 5 races visiting with friends in our group and betting on the races. ( Didn't do to good)


This was my view of the race track for the Derby. Everyone standing up on their seats making the view not very good.


Between races the people sat down.

Its Derby time and everyone finds their seats and stands on them. Wall to wall people for the race. Thank goodness the race has a good announcer. There off!! and I can't see a thing. A long shot "I'll Have Another" won at long odds. Paid $32.60 to win. Boy were a lot of people disappointed.


143932107_crop_north

65,000 thousand people trying to leave at once. Standing in lines so they can catch their buses. Very limited parking at Churchill Downs.


I thought I did good to leave early just after the Derby but I caught a bus in which the driver had no idea where she was going. I knew I was in trouble when she stopped and asked a guy standing on the corner where she should go.

It took her 45 minutes to drop me off at my stop just a mile away. She even followed the governor's motorcade to the train station. Boy was I thankful to see our bus.

Derby week was a great experience and I cherish my time spent at the Derby but will pass the next time and watch it on TV.

No comments:

Post a Comment